Monday, July 7, 2014

Prophets & Patriotism



I love having a knowledge of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It can make everything more meaningful.  This past week of course there were BBQ's and red, white and blue streamers.  There were pancakes breakfasts and parades.  But there were also some moments of spirituality.  I loved reading the inspired words of The Star-Spangled Banner with my kids and explaining that's why we have fireworks every year.  And I couldn't help but get teary eyed as I watched the incredible display of lights with them and I imagined watching that across the water over 235 years ago.  All of the verses of our anthem are incredible, and worth reading and singing!

To remember more the sacredness of our country we read in 1 Nephi Chapter 13 where it's prophesied that the Americas will be colonized, and I explained how this country had to be created so we could have freedom of religion.  That was part of God's plan.  We read the 11th Article of Faith and parts of the Declaration of Independence.  I explained how all these men, the founders of our country and the prophets of the scriptures, risked their lives for truth.  And that truth and freedom is what we celebrate on the 4th of July.

These moments together weren't the most fun necessarily, but they were special.  And they brought meaning to the "fun" moments.  I loved that my children wanted to see all the names of the men who signed the Declaration.  I'm grateful for the history of our country and those who gave all they had to shape it.  I would encourage taking some time if you haven't already to read some of these scriptures or documents.  Kids understand more than we realize.

If you want to add a craft or activity to a patriotic-themed lesson you can...

Try writing with an "ink and quill" on newsprint like the Declaration of Independence was printed in the newspaper way back in 1776.  Finger paint and craft feather work great!


Have fun with your own "rocket's red glare!"  Or sparklers...

 The never-gets-old Finger-Paint American Flag...

 

 Or just red, white and blue food!  We learned the red color stands for bravery, white for liberty, and blue for justice!  Here are some options we've done from the past patriotic holidays...
easy Firecracker popsicles,
 Jello jigglers,
 "Strawberry" Floats (any red soda works!,)
or some kind of flag dessert.  Yummy!
I hope these ideas inspire you to spend some time reflecting on the divine roots of our country and the privilege it is to live here.  The Gospel IS TRUE  and even though spending time teaching it can be taxing and hard at times (trust me, I know!) it IS worth it in this life and the eternities.  
Time spent with family is time well spent! Love, Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment