Monday, March 19, 2012

Bad Times...Good Times...Better Times...



Saturday Night...

Bad Times...

"Kids!  Come here for scripture reading!"
"Wait!  I have to go get something," says my son.  "I'm doing something!" says my daughter.

"I love how our kids listen to us, " I whisper sarcastically to my husband as we sit, waiting for them to roll in (they're only 4 and 6!  What can they need to get or do?)

Good Times...(one minute later)

Michael comes up and hands me this month's issue of The Friend.

"Here, Mom," says my son.  "This is for scripture reading."  I hold my breath for a moment in surprise at how this little boy is growing and learning, and how much he really is taking in.

After scripture reading I go tuck in my daughter to see she's taken apart the puppets we made earlier today and taped the pictures of the prophets beside her bed.  I feel all warm inside at this sweet way she's decided to decorate her room.



Sunday Morning...

Bad Times...

Hubby wakes up feeling sick and informs me 20 minutes before our EDT that he isn't going to be able to go to church.  I slightly panic, can't find anything that matches, get the kids in the van while it's practically snowing (while not wearing a coat) then they start wanting to play D.J. and request all sorts of songs while I avoid crashing.  I debate pulling over and doing a u-turn.  I threaten pulling over and doing a u-turn.  We make it to church late, walk into the foyer where a man thinks I'm someone else's wife and directs me to the second row during the opening hymn.  We parade down the aisle, me not realizing my bright white slip is sticking out way beneath my dark brown skirt.  We squeeze by people, finally sit down and my kids immediately start asking for their coloring books.  I whisper loudly it's time to pray.  I 'm asked to stand as I'm sustained a Relief Society teacher.  I'm sure everyone is wondering how I got that calling....

Good Times...
Church is wonderful.  I'm so glad I didn't turn the van around and get back in my pjs, and climb in bed. 

Bad Times...
We are home and the kids are being circus performers. 

Good Times...
I print out this coloring page and they are distracted, coloring quietly for maybe 8 minutes...

Bad Times...
By the end of the night I'm exhausted and lying on the couch.  But now it's time to start the get-the-kids-ready-for-bed routine. 

Good Times...
Hubby says he will tuck the kids into bed. 

Better Times...
Then he asks, "What are the kids learning about in primary?  Is there a story or something I can read to them?"  Under tissues, crayons and crackers, I find The Friend on the coffee table and open it to Living Prophets Teach Me To Choose The Right, and say they are learning about following the prophet.  He leaves and I close my eyes as I can hear him reading to them in the next room.

There are always going to be good times and bad times.  Thank goodness because the bad times can humble us and the good times are so much fun.  But once in a while there are those times that are better than "good"  or "great."  They are the moments that keep me going.

Remember, the Gospel IS TRUE!  Love ya! -Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment