Wednesday, April 11, 2012

By "Sweet" And Simple Things



OK, I know the real verse is “By small and simple things are great things brought to pass” (Alma 37:6 of The Book of Mormon) but sometimes small and simple things are sweet too..like mini M&M's!

A few weeks ago our Family Home Evening was small and simple.  We went for a walk around the block as a family.  We talked about the beautiful creations of Christ.  Then we sat around our table and were each served a little pudding cup with some cool whip. 

For every mini M&M someone wanted on their dessert they had to name something they were thankful for.  It was so special to hear what came to our childrens' minds.  Our pets.  Our brothers and sister.  Our house.  Our toys.  Jeus and Heavenly Father.  It was nice to vocally be grateful to each of them and my husband.  I don't think he hear's that enough from me. 

There was nothing flashy about this family activity.  I used items I already had in my pantry.  But I will never forget the feeling we had there, sharing our gratitude with each other.

Even by our small and simple efforts we can grow spiritually as a family.  It's the consistent acts of praying daily as a family, reading the scriptures together, having Family Home Evening, and attending church together that are building the foundation for our mansions in heaven. 

In her talk "Teaching Our Children to Understand" this recent conference Cheryl A. Esplin said, "We will teach our children to understand as we take advantage of every teaching situation, invite the Spirit, set the example, and help them live what they learn."  

I know this is true and share it with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment