Saturday, April 14, 2012

Family Time Is Sacred Time: From "I Love You" to "I'd Love To..."



I wish I could say that we sat as a family and watched every session of conference together, pens and crayons in hand, taking notes, setting goals and growing stronger as a family!  But I can't. :) I know some families do it and I have so much respect and admiration for them, but the Barnett family isn't quite there yet.  What a comfort it is to know that many of the homes our apostles were raised in were kind of like mine, or even less spiritual... 

I learned during this conference that Elder Packer and President Eyring both had less active fathers; President Eyring's father wasn't even baptized.  Yet, these men are still incredible spiritual giants fulfilling the Lord's purposes for them on earth.  I feel very lucky that I do have the spiritual support of my husband and pray for the women doing it on their own.  Stick with it!  The Lord is mindful of you and loves you!  

I'm so grateful that in the Saturday morning session first we heard from President Monson and then the next two talks were really geared towards parents.  They must have been inspired to know that it was close to nap time and us parents might not be able to hear the latter part of the morning session easily. :) I referenced Sister Esplin's talk last time, and now I'd like to reference President Packer's "And A Little Child Shall Lead Them":

There are many things about living the gospel of Jesus Christ that cannot be measured by that which is counted or charted in records of attendance. We busy ourselves with buildings and budgets and programs and procedures. In so doing, it is possible to overlook the very spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Too often someone comes to me and says, “President Packer, wouldn’t it be nice if … ?”
I usually stop them and say no, because I suspect that what follows will be a new activity or program that is going to add a burden of time and financial means on the family.
Family time is sacred time and should be protected and respected. We urge our members to show devotion to their families.

So, I can't say that we sat there with our ears devoted to every session.  But I CAN say that there were a few moments of sacred, family togetherness.  That for at least a few minutes we sat with our children on our laps, curled up in comfy blankets and listened to the comforting words of the prophet.  My heart glowed when my daughter said "That's President Monson!  I love President Monson."  I got goosebumps when my son asked "He's talking to us right now?" and I could answer truthfully, "Yes, he's talking to us right now."

My daughter's been having trouble falling asleep.  She's afraid of "monsters" and the only thing that's helped has been playing church songs from her little Hello Kitty music player.  I'm a strong believer of using the hymns with children.  This way they have spiritual connections with songs that they will continue to hear as an adult and can hopefully still strengthen them.  "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" from the EFY album Forward With Faith and "The Olive Tree" from the seminary soundtracks are some of her favorites.  She especially likes it when I sing I Know That My Redeemer Lives as a bedtime lullaby because it's so long. LOL

Anyway, the other day my son laid a blanket out on our living room floor and borrowed his sister's music player and asked if I would lie down and listen to the songs with him.  It's for little moments like this I'm so glad that we've chosen to pinch pennies and let me be home with our kids.  It's so hard to not have money for vacations or new things, but it's worth it.  I know it's a blessing to even have this option now, and isn't an option for everyone, but if you can, do it.

I was in the middle of cleaning but couldn't say no to some quiet time with my little man.  But I asked that we move the blanket outside since it was actually sunny and kind of warm.  We stretched out the blanket, lied down and listened to the sacred music together in a quiet scene of perfection.  I know God gave me that moment.  See, it wasn't until I stepped outside that I could see huge dark clouds to the east and west of us.  In fact, about twenty minutes later we had to hurry inside because winds and rain were upon us.  But for a moment, time was suspended and we were there in this little pocket of sun, listening to songs about the Savior.  

A couple times Michael got up to pick some dandelions and bring them to me.  Looking up at him, his smiling face surrounded by blue skies, his little hand stretching out freshly picked flowers for me, I felt what heaven must be like.  I can only describe it as a moment of godliness.  Life is so often chaotic, burdened, stressful...how grateful I am that I stepped away from my to-do list for this gift of a moment with my son.  There with him, I helped him recognize that feeling of love and calm he had inside as the Holy Ghost.  And I recognized that feeling in me too, in  a way I hadn't felt in a long time.

I often feel like the three words I say the most to my children aren't "I love you" but "Just a minute."  They ask for things...drinks, playtime, help and I find myself saying "Just a minute" over and over again because I'm so focused on me.  Well, I hope I change that.  From now on I hope I say "I'd love to."  Because really, saying you'd love to do something for someone or with someone is just another way of saying "I love you."  It's showing "I love you."  It's making family time, which we learned from President Packer is "sacred time."  It's serving them, which in reality is serving the Savior.  What could be more important than that?

The Gospel is true!  I hope you enjoy sacred, holy, special time with your family this weekend.  Love, Eva

P.S.  The pictures in this post are from some family time we had by a lake near our home.  None of the pictures have been digitally enhanced- those are the actual colors of that beautiful day together!  And that is my actual, beautiful son! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment