Friday, June 27, 2014

Chutes & Ladders to the Temple



We've had a really nice month learning about the 6th Article of Faith, covenants, and the steps to having Forever Families.  It's actually been a great past 6 months!  But there has been some adjusting time as we as we've dealt with my father passing, some major home remodels and setting up our home school.  So, it's time to play catch-up!!!
Here is CTR Chutes & Ladders, an easy and fun activity to use anytime, but that fit in quite nicely with this month's theme...

I made these little slips of papers to cover some of the squares of a Chutes & Ladders game.

Here's a closer look at the ones with writing.  Basically, I tried to choose good steps that lead us toward making and keeping covenants.  Some of those things are ordinances and keeping God's commandments.  Then wherever there's a ladder I taped one of the accomplishments at the bottom and a smiley face at the top.


The kids were excited to play this game before bed.

When someone landed on a chute and slid down we talked about how they could fix the mistake they had made.  I would ask them if their little character repented.  After a "Yes!" they were allowed to go back up the chute and resume their place in the game.

I really believe in strengthening our testimonies of repentance and forgiveness.  We all make mistakes.  I hope I can instill a confidence in Jesus' and Heavenly Father's love in my children so they never doubt that miracle of the Atonement.


I even played too!

The best part of the night was the good sportsmanship of my eldest daughter when my son won.  Five minutes earlier there had been arguing over whose turn it was to spin the spinner.  I reminded them that the whole point of this game was to learn how to choose the right more, in a tired and frustrated mommy voice.  So hearing her be so proud and happy for him was music to my ears.  As well as seeing Michael smile and say once he reached the top "I made it to the temple!"
Remember, every effort we make to teach our children is eternally valuable.  The Gospel IS true!  Good luck this week!
Love, Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment